Earlier this week my daughter entertained us and her grandparents with a lovely dinner. Her salad was fantastic and I had to share it. The recipe that I’m going to give you is her original recipe but I made half of it because it makes so much. She served it in a huge bowl.
The amazing thing is that you really don’t need a dressing. The avocado mixed with lemon juice will satiate your desire for any additions.
I’m also showing you a great little tool called an Avocado Slicer. It cleanly removes and slices the meat all at once from the skin. AMAZING! I picked it up at William Sonoma quite a while back. If you use avocados a lot this may be the next best thing for you.
- Organic salad mix 50/50 spring mix spinach, washed and dried
- 2-3 big leaves of kale, trimmed off the stem and torn in small pieces
- 4 ears of grilled corn, cut off the cobb
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 8 pieces of bacon, fried or roasted then chopped into ½ inch pieces
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 2 avocados, meat removed and cut into small pieces
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional, balsamic dressing
- Optional, granny smith apple, cut into cubes, instead of corn
- Optional, Chrissy would put chicken cooked in the bacon fat in the salad.
Assemble the ingredients except the avocados. In a small bowl add the avocados, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Mix but leave chunks of avocados. Add a spoonful to your salad. This is a fantastic idea for those summer light suppers. I served mine with grilled sole.
This will be your new favorite to bring to a pot luck for sure. Or to Book Club.