There’s a lot that you can do to make your lower fat and calorie dishes taste better than sticks and twigs. I purchased the Nordstrom’s Family Cookbook and on the front cover there was a fantastic looking meal. When I read it there was no way with the amount of fat and extras that I could even consider eating it. Sooooo what can you do?
1. Take out the cream use skim milk
2. No need for wine or chicken broth for liquids. Six eggs and 1/2 cup of skim milk did the trick.
3. Use Lower fat Swiss cheese instead of Gruyere.
4. Add more protein.
5. Pancetta, while delicious, is really high in fat and sodium. Substitute bacon or turkey bacon and drain it well.
Broccoli and Swiss Cheese Bake
- 6 slices of bacon, cut up, fried and drained
- 1 head of broccoli, cut up into smaller pieces
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 3/4 cup ham, diced
- 1 package of Sargento’s Swiss cheese low fat
- 6 extra-large eggs
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Sauté the bacon and drain when crisp. Leave only about 3 Tablespoons of the bacon grease in the pan. Add the broccoli, ham and shallots to the pan and sauté for 10 minutes.
With a slotted spoon add the broccoli mixture to a prepared 9 x 13 pan. Layer the cheese on top of broccoli.
Using a whisk and a medium bowl beat the eggs, milk and salt and pepper. Add to the broccoli mixture. Sprinkle the mixture with the bacon.
Bake for 30 minutes till eggs are set. Let the bake stand for 10 minutes before eating.
This was REALLY good.