I’ve posted this before but it falls in the Christmas Cookie category in our home. This wonderful recipe came from my sister-in-law Joannie. I added the pictures from making it as it gets confusing when you have to make the logs, bake them, remove them and then cut them to be toasted back in the oven.
ALMOND BISCOTTI Makes 84 slices and 12 ends. 325 degrees preheated oven.
- 4 to 4 1/2 cups unsifted all -purpose flour
- 1 T. Baking powder
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 cup unslated butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 2 t. almond extract
- 1 cup sliced natural almonds
- 1 cup slivered blanched almonds
- Heat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease 2 very large baking sheets. In a medium-size bowl, combine 4 cups flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- In your mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add 3 eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Separate 1 egg, place egg white in a cup, then set aside. Add egg yolk, vanilla and almond extracts to the butter mixture and beat well.
- Reduce mixer speed to low. Gradually beat flour mixture into butter mixture until well blended. With spoon, stir in both types of nuts. If dough is too soft to shape, stir in some of the remaing 1/2 cup flour. Divide dough into 6 equal pieces.
- Shape each piece into 8 by 2 inch logs and place across a large baking sheet (3 logs per baking sheet). Brush with the reserved egg white.
- Bake logs 30p minutes or until firm and golden brown. Transfer logs to a cutting board. Reduce oven emperature to 250 degrees. Using a serrated knife and using a sawing motion, cut each log diagonally into 1/2″ slices. Arrange slice cut side down on the baking sheets.
- Bake slices for 15 minutes, turning over once, orunjtil dry on the surface.
- Cool slices on wire racks and store in an airtight container.