This is the month that Thanksgiving falls in, so what a better way to commemorate random acts of kindness by thanking people. I had promised the family of four boys down the street that I would make them a meal if they could help us get the leaves raked up due to my husband’s rotator cuff surgery. The tree decided to lose all its leaves AFTER the surgery!
I made the sauce, I made fresh bread – see the LAST POST – and had all intentions of putting a dessert together Sunday morning. Saturday night I ended up in the hospital with nothing except the sauce and bread made. Through social networking, the neighbors all found out where we were. Upon return to home family members found the yard was spotless with 10 bags of leaves on the side of the house. I am so thankful for these people. They all pitch in all the time. We really have a Norman Rockwell “block”.
I’m home and rocking in the kitchen again. I decided to make Lasagna. I haven’t made it in YEARS and use to LOVE my mothers. As a teenager we owned a pizza shop where we used Priscos homemade sausage. They also had recipes that they gave out. I’m using our sauce recipe. As you can see it turned out gorgeous. The only thing that I used from the Priscos recipe was adding the meat to our sauce and making the Ricotta Mixture.
This recipe makes one 9 x 13 pan and one 9’ square pan.
Days ahead make a double batch of sauce that you can find here.
- 1 pound Lasagna noodles (I used whole wheat)
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 pound ground beef
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 2-15 oz. Ricotta Cheese containers
- 4 eggs at room temperature
- 2 ½ teaspoons Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 3 Tablespoons fresh flat leaf parsley, shopped
- 1 cup grated Romano cheese plus more for dusting
- 2 pounds shredded mozzarella
– In a Dutch oven brown the meats and the onion till done. Line a dish with paper towels and drain the meat mixture till most of the grease is removed. Clean your Dutch oven and place the meat mixture and 3/4s of your double batch of sauce in the Dutch oven. Warm it through. Set aside.
In a really large pasta pot bring the salted water to a boil. Add the entire package of noodles to the boiling water. Cook 10 minutes or as instructions say. Drain when finished.
In your electric mixer with a paddle attachment combine all the ingredients except the mozzarella cheese. Combine until smooth.
Layering Preheat your oven to 375°.
Spray the 9 x 13 pan with Pam. (also makes a 9”square pan) Ladle sauce enough to just cover the bottom lightly. Place your noodles in the pan over lapping. Spread with 1/3 of the ricotta mixture. Layer with meat sauce. Layer with mozzarella, then sprinkle with Romano cheese. Repeat the process.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes till beautiful.