This side dish is awesome. It’s a great way to get natural carbohydrates into you or your family. When I serve this I eliminate the potatoes at a meal. We swap a lot of food out that way to limit the carbohydrates.
We love this dish. It holds up in the fridge for days. It will be the new hit at the local BBQ or for any family event.
I stopped at Meijer and picked up the pre-cut green, red and yellow peppers making this really fast to make.
Black-eyed peas come in the can or frozen. I’ve only used the frozen once – you just have to thaw.
BLACK-EYED PEA SALAD
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 ½ Tablespoon sugar
- 2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- A few drops of Tabasco or Louisiana Hot Sauce
- 1 ½ cups canned black-eyed peas drained
- 1 medium green bell pepper diced or red/yellow peppers or both
- 3 stalks celery diced
- ¼ cup chopped scallions – or chopped red onion
- 1 cup frozen corn thawed
- (you can use whatever fresh vegetables you’d like)
In a large bowl, combine the vegetables. In a small bowl, combine the other ingredients and whisk till sugar and salt are dissolved. Pour the dressing over the beans. Toss. Let stand an hour or overnight in the fridge for the flavors to POP.
Mangiere bene (Eat Well)